Bootstraps – A one word conversation with students
In the fourth episode of the S.A.F.E. Topics podcast, we were joined by MiraCosta College students and had a one-word conversation with the word, “Bootstraps.” We were joined by students Monique (Sociology), Matthias (Sociology), Kennedy (Psychology), Victor (Liberal Arts), and Jacob (Communications).
What to listen for:
- What does pulling yourself up by the bootstraps look like at Miracosta?
- Bootstraps as a mask of masculinity.
- The mental health aspect of bootstraps.
- What does help look like?
- How do family, friends, professors help to reach resources?
- Does who you surround yourself with matter?
- Individuality stripping.
- Expressing vulnerability.
- Do students know about resources available to them?
- Does not reaching out for help limit one’s success?
- Bootstraps from a military perspective.
- Being an individual vs. having support.
- The big change from high school to college.
You can connect with the S.A.F.E. Topics podcast on Instagram: @safetopics_podcast and share this podcast with this link.
The S.A.F.E. Topics Team:
curry mitchell – Faculty, Letters (Co-host)
Sean Davis – Faculty, Sociology (Co-host)
Kelly Barnett – Intern and Music Technology Student (Audio Editor)
James Garcia – SDICCCA Fellow and Associate Faculty, Sociology (Show Notes)