Going Remote – Supporting Our Students
In the seventh episode of the S.A.F.E. Topics podcast, hosts curry and Sean continue the special series on “Going Remote” with a conversation on the support our students and faculty can expect once classes resume. We were joined by Lise Flocken (Transfer Center), Edward Pohlert (Tutoring & Academic Support Center), and Denise Stephenson (Writing Center) through Zoom.
What to listen for:
● Writing center website link: (http://www.miracosta.edu/studentservices/writingcenter/index.html) ● Live Online ConferZoom link (https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/144052209)
● Still open! Just moved online.
● Using Zoom as the new support hub space.
● Using Zoom’s breakout rooms feature for one-on-one support.
● What the center does and does not do.
● The new hours explained.
Tutoring & Academic Support Center (TASC) ● TASC website link: (http://www.miracosta.edu/studentservices/tutoring/index.html)
● Integration with ConferZoom with a one-on-one link.
● Academic success coaches support and how-to guides.
● Continuously updating their front page of their website.
● Net Tutor, Star CA and MiraCosta College tutoring services explained.
● Easing the anxiety and fear of the new online format.
● Transfer center website link: (http://www.miracosta.edu/studentservices/transfercenter/index.html) ● Student support hub on Canvas link: (https://miracosta.instructure.com/courses/16981)
● How Cal State University San Marcos has been accommodating during these times.
● University of California (UC) schools updates.
● Everything has slowed down.
● Taking care of yourself first.
You can connect with the S.A.F.E. Topics podcast on Instagram: @safetopics_podcast and share this podcast with this link.
The S.A.F.E. Topics Team:
curry mitchell – Faculty, Letters (Co-host)
Sean Davis – Faculty, Sociology (Co-host)
Kelly Barnett – Intern and Music Technology Student (Audio Editor)
James Garcia – SDICCCA Fellow and Associate Faculty, Sociology (Show Notes)